Tuesday, March 9, 2010

#498 - ZZ Top - Tres Hombres


Tres Hombres: stands for 3 guys. More specifically, three guys I'd like to get sloshed with at a bar with sawdust on the floor (they don't have those in Ohio, do they?). Another Roadhouse-worthy track; how can you not want to be out with your buddies at a hole-in-the-wall dive bar while listening to this album? Personally, I love the guy in this clip who continues to smash bottles with a vengeance while everyone else is attacking Crazy Swayze. Albums like this are what I'm made of, they are in my breeding. In fact, "La Grange" was a staple of my childhood musical tastes due to my father who raised me with Stevie Ray and ZZ Top. I was the only child in grade school walking through the halls with my TMNT lunchbox singing, "A haw, haw, haw, haw." My sophomore year of high school I had the privilege of seeing ZZ Top in all their old man glory at the venue formerly known as Gund Arena in Cleveland, Ohio back in 1999 and I have to say they still had it. Awe-inspiring blues riffs, kick-ass guitars, and beards I can only hope to grow. I mean who else has microphone stands and guitars made out of car parts? Seriously? Years later, I was 26 and turning the volume up while jamming out to "La Grange" on Guitar Hero with no shame. It's stood the test of time.

While "La Grange" has always been part of my music library, I had not had the pleasure of ever listening to Tres Hombres until a few days ago. My run-in with "La Grange" came from a Greatest Hits album, but I am depressed I had not given Tres a spin many years before. From the beginning riff of "Waitin' For the Bus" to the hillbilly gospel of "Have You Heard," this album is remarkable. Speaking of "Have You Heard," does anyone recognize the beginning riff that appears to have been later ripped off by Journey in "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'?"

In between these two bookends, I find myself confused whether I should be drinking beer or praising Jesus and wondering what is wrong with doing both simultaneously. These songs are blues rock hymals meant for knocking back cold Budweisers. I can't even name you a few favorite tracks, because all of them are quality examples of how music should be played. If you twisted my name I would have to settle on "La Grange" (of course), "Shiek," "Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers," and "Have You Heard?" Since first listening to this album, it has been in constant rotation; that's how good it is. I love its perfect balance of slow and quick tempos. Its driving guitar riffs which seem to be played with the ultimate ease. Its availability to being played during Saturdays spent out in the yard playing cornhole as well as hanging out until 2 a.m. at the seediest of all joints. It shares all the great elements of Albert King's Born Under a Bad Sign while being something gloriously and exquisitely different. This album makes me wish I was born prior to its release just so I could run out and buy the tape or 8-track (whichever) and play it in my car or listen to it at the bar during its initial glory. Buy this album. Just buy it.....and Road House. You will not be disappointed. A great album (and worthy addition to the Top 500) made by tres malos culos. That's Spanish for "three bad asses."

-D. Reed

There’s just too much good here to know where to begin. Very few bands have ever been as tight as ZZ Top, and this is them at their best. Dusty Hill and Frank Beard sound like they’ve been playing together for decades, especially amazing since they were both 23 during recording. That precision rhythm section really shows up on "Precious & Grace," grinding along under a three-tiered guitar solo.

Of course most people know this album for "La Grange." If you don’t like this song, I don’t think we can be friends. Sure it’s a bit of a John Lee Hooker ‘homage’, but I can’t listen to it without craving cheap beer, stale peanuts and a pool cue. Follow that up with "Sheik" and its Santana-ish percussion groove and you can smell the smoke stained walls of thousand western bars. Throw in "Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers" and you’ll taste enough copper to make you count your teeth.

One thing that shocks me going back to this album is how much Kings of Leon sounds like a young ZZ Top. The vocal comparisons are undeniable, specifically on "Master of Sparks." "Master" is one of my favorite songs here. Musically one of the most impressive tracks, the great storytelling is a huge bonus. I could listen to this one over and over.

Speaking of musical influences, "Hot Blue & Righteous" sounds like a lost Gram Parsons song. I keep expecting to hear Emmylou Harris come in on harmony. Really a very beautiful song, it’s almost something religious. Much credit has to be given to a band that can pull off that change of pace.

Another great on the list, and the first that I think should have been much higher. This is a legitimate top hundred contender, and to be thrown on here so late is a shame. Billy Gibbon’s solos alone deserve a better ranking. Get a good pair of speakers, some Schlitz (maybe some papers if you so choose) and appreciate this album like the Rolling Stone voters should have.

-The Fat Man

No comments:

Post a Comment