Monday, July 19, 2010

#484 - Merle Haggard - Branded Man


I don't have much to say about this album. I'm sure there are Merle Haggard fans somewhere that would be in an uproar that I do not fully appreciate Branded Man, but there was nothing significantly moving for me about this album. I can understand if the subject matter was new for the time, but I don't even know if that is what helped include this album on Rolling Stone's list. I get it, Merle did time in San Quentin for robbery, but this album lacks any sort of bite that could be attributed with that experience. Instead of finding myself impressed while I was listening to the album, the main thought in my head was that it had to have been boring as hell to be the drummer on these tracks. The same boring beat or brush repeatedly.

The album had some highlights. I personally liked "Long Black Limousine" (a metaphor for a hearse for those of you with an IQ less than 30), because of its' story and Haggard's spoken-verse in the middle, and other tracks such as "Branded Man" and "Don't Get Married" (which is not a warning against matrimony but a plea for the girl to wait until he is out of prison for trying to steal her a ring). Other than that, I've got nothing. It's not that I dislike country, because I actually enjoy it, but I guess I'm more a Cash fan than a Merle fan. Sorry Merle, not worthy. Although, I can't say I'm as adamant about your music as this guy.

Also, I'm fairly sure ol' Merle would slap the pink off this guy's polo if he heard this garbage.

-d.


Merle Haggard is full of contradictions. He wrote the first of the now clichéd patriotic, conservative country songs, "Okie From Muskogee." Yet, it was actually a parody of the same people that embraced it. He’s a former drug addict, yet he was pardoned by Mr. Just Say No, Ronald Reagan. Once known for his tribute albums, he will be remembered as a great songwriter. Branded Man carries the theme over to his music, with songs ranging from laments for lost love to memories of prison.
"Branded Man" starts the album with what you could be forgiven to think is an autobiographical note. Actually written by Tommy Collins, the song deals with the stigma of being an ex-con. Some really great songwriting with lyrics about being followed by the black mark of a number next to your name. One of my favorite songs on this album is "Some Of Us Never Learn," for some of us an all too close to home story of the draw to call for one more. Very nice piano solo in the middle.
Probably the most accidentally humorous song I’ve heard in awhile is "Don’t Get Married." Not a warning to others, it’s a letter to his woman asking her to wait while he’s in prison. Theoretically, I’m sure this seemed heartwarming once, but now it just makes me giggle. "Go Home" is sadly ironic in our current political climate. The story of a man falling in love in Mexico, but having her chased away by his friends back in the states, because “her place isn’t with this man”. Both a poignant statement on interracial relationships and a general message against racism, it’s a great song musically as well. Great guitar and the best vocal work on this record.
Admittedly, I’m having trouble finding things to say about individual songs here. They’re all solid songs. Actually, they’re easily more than that. This is the early work of one of the great ‘outlaw’ singers, a man who will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the greats. I’m just hitting a wall with the large amount of country so far on the list. With three of the last six albums falling into one genre I tend to get bogged down. So consider my lack of enthusiasm at the moment to have no bearing on my enjoyment of these songs. Branded Man is a well-written and well-performed album deserving of its place on the list. Even for those that hate the entire genre, you should give this a listen for the great lyrics.

-tfm

No comments:

Post a Comment