Sunday, March 20, 2011

#468 - Elton John - Self-titled

I feel like reviewing this album is almost pointless. Who doesn’t already know how brilliant Elton is at his best? If you have never sung along to “Your Song” I probably don’t want to know you. But then. I guess that’s really the only well-known song on this record. As great as this is, it’s not on the level of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but for a 23 year old kid on his second record the songs are shocking. Brilliant musicianship thanks to the (literally) dozens of top session artists he brought in. Of course, Bernie Taupin is on of the greatest songwriters of the century, which surely doesn’t hurt. This may not be Elton’s best, but it’s his most challenging and original.

Starting things with “Your Song” was a pretty damn good idea. This was obviously meant to be the single that broke Elton through, and it did the job. One of the all time great vocals, by any artist. It’s the most easily accessible song here, but while it doesn’t ask the listener to look as deeply within themselves as some of the other tracks it still doesn’t lack for emotion. “I Need You To Turn To” seems vaguely like a Led Zeppelin song with all the metal taken out. Very medieval lyrics with beautiful harpsichord work (a very underrated instrument). Lovely.

A burst of gospel brings up the energy in “Take Me to the Pilot”. Another song where the backing crew really shows off. More of today’s solo artists need to higher session guys instead of using synthesizer for everything. This whole album is proof of that. The next few songs show off a huge variety of sounds and styles. Country from “No Shoe Strings on Louise” and some classical guitar on “First Episode At Hienton”. To my great surprise and excitement we even get to hear some theremin on the latter.

The album does have some hit and miss bits. In the middle of “The Cage”, a Stevie Wonder style funk number, they break into one of the most misplaced and dated moog solos I have ever heard. For the most part, while lacking the spark of the first half, the later songs are pretty solid. The decline in inspiration is what keeps this from being Elton’s best, but it doesn’t exactly hurt it too much. At no point was I disappointed while listening, and that’s a freakish rarity for me. All the same, I had high hopes for the B side and they weren’t quite met. Can’t complain, though. This is a great record that deserves it’s placement on the list.

Here’s “Your Song” sung by Billy Paul of “Me and Mrs. Jones” fame.

-tfm

Mike touched upon the greatness of the opening track on Elton John's eponymous second album, but I think he failed to explain exactly what makes this song so unique and amazing. This track is important because, aside from being a love song, it is a song about the impossibility of trying to create something perfect for that perfect someone. What makes Bernie Taupin one of the greatest songwriters of all-time is that he is one of the only people that can make and ode about writing an ode not only appealing, but timeless. The song speaks to the listener, because it could be any one of us writing these lyrics trying our best to explain our love. I've said it before, but this song sums it up like no other: I love simplicity. I'm a sucker for it when it works the way it should. This song is the apex of that idea.

I grew up listening to Elton John. He is my mother's favorite artist and, while most people might grow to hate an artist so beloved by their parents, John holds a much revered spot in my musical arsenal. Perhaps, I'm wrong about that previous statement though. I'm sure the musical likings of your parents can shape your musical talents without creating some sort of immense resentment towards their preferences. Regardless, my mom introduced me to this crazy, piano pounding bastard and I cannot help to thank her for doing so.

I find no fault anywhere on this album. Even the tracks that might appear as "misses" are wonderfully arranged and delivered. Taupin and John are an unbelievable duo. Absolutely unbelievable. I love the gospel of "Take Me To the Pilot" and the medieval pageantry of "I Need You to Turn To." "Sixty Years On" skirts the line of melodrama, but one can't get over how beautifully crafted a piece of work it is. Quite possibly my favorite song (aside from "Your Song") is "Border Song." Love that song. Listen to it all the time and belt that baby out.

Great album. Not Elton's best, but pretty damn good, especially for a second attempt.

Here's a version of "Border Song" by ol' Slowhand himself. This girl needs to be recognized for her attempt of "Sixty Years On." People do stuff like this.

-d.

No comments:

Post a Comment